Sunday 2 September 2007

Vinyl Diaries X: The scenic route to politics

This post began life as a look at politics and music, but, realising I was frowning a little too intently, is about to take a turn for the cheesy. It was going to be too big a leap in logic from the last vinyl diary anyway, so instead I'll see what babysteps can get us there.

Which means starting with Feist. After her airport shenanigans of a vinyl diary not so long ago, here she goes again. Her 1 2 3 4 video is even dancier, but was a little too technicolour for me even in this strange mood.

While there's nothing I like more in my music than a feel that it's balanced precariously on the cusp of gloaming, or toppling ever deeper into the glooming, sometimes there's a small window (usually around 4am) for some gleaming.

And while we're busy dancing in the streets, it's a rare gem that could offer a brighter gleaming than that found shining from Lavender Diamond, so monstrously sweet your teeth hurt for days with the guilty pleasure of it all. This pinker than pink fairy floss moment is pure, unadulterated joy, of a kind rarely admitted to by those who feel they should know better. I think if I had gone to school with Becky Stark I would certainly have pulled her pigtails, for reasons more complex than I would ever have understood.

Though not dancing as such, it's not a huge stretch to move from rollerskates to bicycles. Plus at least there are handclaps and synchronicity aplenty in the Bat for Lashes video for What's a Girl To Do?...populated by the evil bmx bandit doppelgangers of the Flaming Lips stageshow troupe.

Unable to take my eyes off that Frank-esque bunny, the Gary Jules take on Mad World from Donnie Darko seems the obvious next port of call. Here I get a bit stuck, but will throw in the fairly tenuous 'children' link as an excuse for wandering by Glósóli.

Which isn't really getting us much closer to the whole politics thing... so maybe a quick peek at Hoppipolla will help, as then we can ride the oldies' pirate-cut coat-tails over to Ant Music. I know this is his dandy highwayman period, but he's about as pirate as I can think of right now. How much deeper can this hole get...?

Well, Elastica did cover Cleopatra, so we can dip into Connection if we're so inclined.

And we best be, for that's as far as this little diary is going for now... the museum is closing its doors to catch a wee nap.

1 comment:

Ruben Bike said...

Intersting... nice blog... greetings from mexico